Increasing active citizenship and the accountability of public and private sectors
Oxfam's role is a combination of work with partners at community level, brokering and coalition building and lobbying for increased transparency and accountability.
This program seeks to ensure that the socio-economic and political rights of Nigerians are guaranteed by working with citizens, relevant institutions and the private sector to promote transparency and accountability. This will result in the nation's huge earnings from the extractives sector (which form 80% of government revenues) and both Corporate and Citizen generated Tax resources improving the living standards of Nigerians through effective and efficient use of public resources. Oxfam's role is a combination of work with partners at community level, brokering and coalition building and lobbying for increased transparency and accountability.
- Promote democracy through civil education and leadership programs, focusing on women and youth.
- Lobby and build coalitions ensuring the adoption of legislation leading to increased transparancy in decision making and accountability for delivery.
- Focus on gender sensitive fiscal performance and how citizens can hold institutions to account.
- Campaign and advocate with others for tax justice and greater equity, and contribute to the global "Even it Up" campaign.
- Improve the accountability of extractives industries to communities and the regulation of their activities.