FINANCE OFFICER (PROSELL)
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
Internal Job Grade -
Contract type -
Fixed Term (renewable)
Reporting to - Project Manager (PROSELL)
Staff reporting directly to this post None
Key relationships/interactions - Internal: Business Support team, Partner organisation
Location - Taraba
The Finance Officer will support the delivery of all financial management functions of the PROSELL project in Taraba according to Oxfam’s Financial Manual, including but not limited to petty cash management, time sheets recording, monthly payroll processing and the monitoring of financial activities and requirements as they relate specifically to Oxfam’s relationship with partner organisations. S/he will check all expense supporting documentation to ensure compliance with organization’s policies and related law, prior to obtaining approvals and payment processing. S/he will coordinate and act as focal point for issues relating to finance at the Taraba office.
- Responsible for the management and supervision of financial administration systems and procedures of the PROSELL Project, to ensure full compliance with Oxfam and EU financial management rules and requirement
- Responsible for verification of expenditure and implementation of corresponding payments and recoveries after their authorization by the Project Manager
- Keeps all financial records and transactions relating to the PROSELL project in Taraba state in accordance with EU and Oxfam GB procedures and submits timely replenishment requests and reports
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports/statements for the project in PROSELL with standard accounting principles-including budget tracking and preparation of budget variance analysis
- Prepares cash flow statement and cash forecasts for the project as and when needed
- Liaises with the Administrative Officer (Procurement) and Finance Manager in Abuja to ensure optimum operations of the PROSELL project
- Designs and implements a Grant Management System for partners and ensures timely, effective financing and reporting from the same.
- Supports internal and external auditing processes by providing all supporting documentation in an orderly and timely manner.
- Ensures that all payment request forms, invoices, LPOs, receipts and any other payment documents are critically checked for accuracy and correctness and meet the organization’s minimum standard.
- Ensures proper and accurate coding of expenditure on all primary documentation
- Processes all bank drafts and Tele graphic transfers, and liaises with banking managers on collection of bank statements in a timely manner.
- Collects petty cash from the bank for operational use.
- Acts as contact person with the bank to operate banking duties as required for effective management of the project and as specified by the Project Manager.
- Assumes full responsibility for ensuring cash books based in the Taraba office are up to date at the end of each working day.
- Ensures records are filed and properly stored, (physically and digitally) as required by Oxfam Process and procedures.
- Ensure detailed and accurate records of all financial transactions are maintained physically and electronically in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Participate in regular meetings with partner organisations to ensure that the working relationship between them and Oxfam is positive, open, and conducive to the successful achievement of agreed objectives
- Generate, review , track and manage Budget Vs Actuals report of expenditures and advise Project Management and Country office management in order to ensure optimal burn rate for the PROSELL project is maintained ..
- May be required to sit on procurement committees and provide financial oversight in the procurement process
- To perform any other duties that may be delegated by the Project Manager.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance, Accounting or any other financial related course.
- Minimum of 5 years Practical experience of all core financial management & Accounting activities, including accounts payable, bookkeeping cash management, budget development, statutory requirements and standard accounts
- Ideally 3 years out of this should have been on Contract and Grant Management within an NGO setting with a proven knowledge and experience of grant accounting and sound experience with donors funding regulations, procedures and reporting requirements
- Strong numerical skills and experience using a computerised financial management information system
Skills & Abilities
- Good analytical skills and experience using a computerised information management system (Ms. Word, Excel, Accounting software etc.)
- A critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and colleagues and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards
- Excellent organization skills and flexible approach to planning comprehensively, managing and prioritizing effectively a high workload and multiple tasks and deadline
- Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with a proven proactive approach to identifying and resolving problems and suggesting improvements that continuously seek to provide a better service to Oxfam.
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English and at least one main local language widely spoken in Northern Nigeria.
- Ability to represent Oxfam in a professional and competent manner with external individuals and organisations
- Commitment to gender and diversity and to addressing inequality in all aspects of this job.
- Proven experience as a team worker and demonstrably cooperative with members of other teams, responding quickly and accurately to queries and issues
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Recognised accountancy qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) and relevant post qualification experience
- Knowledge or experience of Oxfam's (or similar organisation’s) program work, including field experience and/or with institutional donors
- Knowledge and / or experience of common Oxfam norms objects, standards and tools
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Key Behavioral Competencies
(based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.
We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.
We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity
We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than PROSELLar cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
Strategic Thinking and Judgment
We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support.
How To Apply
Candidates interested in this position should please email an application letter and Curriculum vitae as one attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject of the email. Completed applications should reach the dedicated email on or before 5pm 26th April, 2019. Applications not sent in the required format will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for assessment and interview.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as due to the urgency of this position applications will be reviewed as received, as such suitable candidates may be shortlisted and interviewed prior to closing date. Only applications sent in the required format will be considered.
Qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply.